Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Teachers

Teaching is a sickening profession.

I'm sure that got the attention - and certainly raised the ire - of all of the teachers out there. Now, let me explain.

Most teachers are, I'm sure, wonderful people. I don't think they allow women like Mrs. Nachwhite, my third grade teacher, in the classroom any more. Despite being wonderful people, teachers are often the vector for misery that goes far beyond their classrooms.

Allow me to explain. I seemed to be sick for much of the first year Diane and I were married and it was all because Diane was a teacher.

Diane had been teaching for a number of years before we met. She loved the classrooms full of her little dears. After years in the classroom, Diane had been exposed to virtually every virus, bug and germ that floats around among grade school kids and, over the course of time, she had developed antibodies and immunity to all the joys they brought to her classroom.

I, on the other hand, worked among real people (read - adults) and had not developed antibodies or immunity to any of those lovely infirmities. No, Diane brought the various viruses, germs and bugs home to me and I simply got sick.

It got to the point where Diane would just laugh and tell me that I would likely have a runny nose/headache/fever/stomachache/you name it within a few days.

And I typically did.

I was battling something or other for the greater part of our first year of marriage. Basically, Diane served as the vector to bring home many lovely infirmities. To greatly simplify (perhaps oversimplify) the point; Diane basically sickened me that first year.

Thus my original statement that teaching is a sickening profession.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment