Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sunrise

There are few sights more beautiful than watching the eastern sky slowly lighten in preparation for the sun's peeking over the horizon to begin a new day. Many people wax poetic about the beauty of the setting sun, but I think much of it is lost on me because of my poor color vision.

Sunrises, though, are a different story. I don't need to see colors to appreciate the beauty of an awakening day.

I love watching the sun rise.

I enjoy the prelude to the sunrise almost every morning during this time of the year. Sadie and I get up around 5:00 each morning and head out for a walk to welcome the new day. Sunrise this morning was 5:53 AM. I was just getting out of the shower then, but I had already enjoyed the beauty of the brightening sky as we made our turn to the east to begin the long downhill leg of our morning walk.

I wear my hunting headlamp for the beginning of the walk during this part of the year; not so much to help me see as to make me more visible to the occasional car that might be traveling at that early hour. I turn it off, though, as soon as it begins to get light.

Mostly, though, Sadie and I just walk and enjoy the awakening world. We watch with joy as the animals of the night make their way back to their bedding areas; the animals of the day crossing their paths as they rise from their slumber. The birds begin to sing and fly about in search of their morning sustenance. The rabbits come out from their hiding places to venture into the open areas.

And the sun begins to lighten the sky.

There is just something beautiful about the sunrise and the promise of the new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment