Friday, November 1, 2013

Waiting on the Weight

Trying to lose weight can be extremely frustrating. It's made even worse when it simply doesn't seem to be working.

I have struggled with my weight for years - decades, even. Like most people, I tend to gain weight a lot easier and faster than I lose weight. What's really frustrating is when, despite my best attempts, the weight just doesn't seem to come off.

I decided several weeks ago to be much more diligent about controlling my caloric intake. I have been eating much smaller portions and not "going back for seconds." I have even shunned dessert which, for me, is very hard. While I have not increased my exercise; I haven't decreased it, either. I take Sadie for a relatively long walk early each morning and sometimes add another walk later in the day. I usually take at least two, and often three, walks with her on Saturdays and Sundays.

Why is it, then, that nothing seems to be changing? Diane claims that she can tell I'm losing weight when she hugs me; but my pants feel the same, I'm on the same belt notch and the fancy scale we bought a couple of years ago with our Christmas money from Ted shows my weight as unchanging - even to the tenth of a pound.

So I wait on the weight.

It is tempting, at times, to just chuck it all and say I might as well eat whatever I want in any quantity I want because it doesn't seem to make a difference. It's really tempting when Diane asks if I'd like more, or if I want some ice cream, to just say, "YES!!! Give me more food!"

But I continue waiting on the weight.

Maybe the scale will show some sign of success soon.

Maybe my pants will feel just a bit looser tomorrow.

Maybe I will be able to tighten my belt another notch next week.

Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment