Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Station

I have been captivated by Space since I was a small boy. I would jump without hesitation at the chance to go into space if it was ever a possibility. I have even been known to put on the NASA Channel when no one is around merely to watch the astronauts on board the International Space Station. I have been among the few people who tuned in to watch the Shuttle launches and landings long after the mainstream media became bored with man's quest to reach out beyond our planet.

I find Space, and its exploration, to be phenomenally interesting.

I cannot even count how many times I have watched the International Space Station as it soars through space. There are a number of other satellites whose orbits make them visible to the naked eye periodically, as well. My early morning walks with Sadie have given me many opportunities to watch them pass by - and to dream.

Diane saw the International Space Station for the first time yesterday morning. We had excellent viewing conditions with perfectly clear skies. The pass came about an hour before sunrise so the sun reflected off the station brightly; making it very easy to see. Diane was like a child; giddy with excitement as she watched it soar silently overhead. 

It was beautiful.

I am reminded of how much I would love to be up there looking down on the Earth below each time I see it. I catch myself wondering just how much more beautiful Space is from the vacuum that is Space than the view through our atmosphere that I am limited to.

It is Space.

The Final Frontier.

NASA makes several tools to alert you to visible passes of the International Space Station and other satellites if you are interested in seeing it for yourself. The easiest to use, if you live near a relatively big city, is their SpotTheStation site. You can even have it send you emails to alert you to visible passes in your area. The times listed are not precise unless you happen to live in one of the cities they list, but it's not hard to figure out how much time to add/subtract and determine how the appearance and disappearance locations will vary based on your actual location.

NASA's SkyWatch application provides a lot more information and sightings for the International Space Station and numerous other satellites are listed based on your latitude and longitude. You can print out a table of every pass of every satellite if you want, and the times and appearance/disappearance coordinates are very precise since it is calculated using your actual location. It is a bit more complex to use, though.

There is also a low cost app available that allows you to use your phone to pinpoint the International Space Station as it soars overhead.

I continue to be mesmerized by the sight of an orbiting craft no matter how many times I have seen it. After all, it is in Space.

No comments:

Post a Comment