Friday, November 15, 2013

Just A Few Words

It's amazing how much can be conveyed with just a few words. Sometimes a short phrase, or even a single word can change our lives forever.

My life changed (for the better) when Diane uttered the single word, "Yes," on a warm June night in 1987.

That one word led to her bringing great joy to my life with the words, "I do."

Twice, Diane changed my life forever with the simple words, "I'm pregnant," and twice the doctors followed that up months later by saying, "It's a boy."

Just a few words.

Not all short phrases have brought me such joy, though. For example, hearing the words, "He's dead," as a twelve year old boy changed the entire course of my life, and the words "You have breast cancer," opened the door to a dark and difficult six months for Diane and me.

How much can be conveyed with just a few words is a constant, and sometimes stark, reminder of just how powerful words are; not because of their dictionary definition, but because of all the connotations those words have when they make their appearance in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment