Monday, November 11, 2013

We Owe Our Thanks...

Many people have what we often refer to as thankless jobs. In fact, most of us would, at times, claim that we are under-appreciated. We have somehow gotten the idea that people don't recognize the importance of our contributions.

The reality, though, is that our nation and our world would continue on unabated if we just disappeared. Perhaps others would step up to fill a role we once had, or maybe those things we thought were so important would just end up going undone; largely unnoticed by all but a few.

There are some, though, that truly are under-appreciated. Some whose actions have impacted the lives of others; many of whom they will never know. 

Many of whom will never appreciate them.

So today, I think of those people; the ones who truly have had an impact on my life and that I have never truly thanked.

I sit here today and write this blog. I can write about anything I want. I could choose to criticize the government or I could choose to praise it. I could choose to ramble on about any topic I want; taking whatever position I feel like taking.

And for that, I thank our Veterans.

I can go to any church I choose, whenever I choose, without fear of government forces arresting me for my faith.

And for that, I thank our Veterans.

I can buy and sell in a free market.

And for that, I thank our Veterans.

Most of all, though, I can put my head on my pillow each night knowing that men and women have been willing to sacrifice all so my family can rest peacefully in our home.

And for that, I thank our Veterans.

It is to our shame that we grow impatient with the aged Vet who shuffles slowly in front of us. He wasn't always that way. 

No, he was once a frightened teen who charged through enemy fire to protect our freedom. 

He isn't that way by his own choice.

He was once willing to give all; and many of his friends did.

And for that I owe him my undying gratitude.

Thank you, Veterans!

No comments:

Post a Comment