Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Famous Last Words...

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known."

Those may very well be the most famous "last words" in history; even if they were merely a quote from a work of fiction.

Some may only recognize those words as a close approximation of Admiral Kirk's words as he reflected on Spock's death in Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. Others appreciate their origin as Sydney Carton's final words to his friend Charles Darnay in Charles Dickens' A Tale Of Two Cities.

We all imagine ourselves to be like Sydney Carton, and utter profound words just before we die. Perhaps some even rehearse the words that they hope they will have the strength to speak as they draw their last breath. Others record their messages to be shared after they are gone.

Yet few of us will know when we may utter those final sounds or draw our last breath.

I don't intend for this to be a macabre writing; nor am I implying that there is an imminent issue in my life that may lead to me uttering my own last words sooner rather than later. Instead, I found myself reflecting on what people would say if they knew their words would be their last as I listened to radio reports of yet another untimely death in the early morning hours as I drove to work after dropping Matthew off at the airport.

What would that person have said if they knew they were truly saying goodbye to friends and family? What words would they desire to have ringing in their loved ones' ears for the rest of their lives as their final message to them?

I always say the words, "I love you," to each person in my family before we part; whether it be merely for the night or a time we will be apart. Those are the words I want them hear over and over in their mind as they think about the last time we were together; whenever that may be.

After all, we never really know...

No comments:

Post a Comment