Friday, February 28, 2014

Lunch Surprise!

I rarely know what I'm having for lunch on any given day. I pull my lunch bag from the refrigerator in the lunch room at work and open it to find what my lunchtime surprise is for that day.

Allow me to explain in order to quickly put to rest any notion that my mental faculties have deteriorated to the point that I no longer remember what I made for lunch each day. Diane has gotten up with me well before dawn and lovingly made my lunch virtually every day for many years. On occasion she will ask what I want that day, but most of the time I have no idea what I'm having for lunch until I sit at the table and open my lunch bag.

Diane normally puts some special treat at the top of the bag that I take out to have for morning break. It's often some homemade muffin, coffee cake or other special treat. The rest of my lunch waits in the refrigerator for the Noon bell.

My lunch isn't anything fancy. In fact most days my lunch simply consists of a sandwich, some chips or cottage cheese, a piece of fruit and a carton of yogurt. Either the fruit or the yogurt stays in the bag for a snack during my afternoon break, but I dig into the rest for lunch.

I always enjoy my lunch - no matter how simple it may seem - because I am reminded of Diane's loving hands preparing it for me each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment