Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Faux Holiday!!!!

I'm pretty sure a prominent greeting card company invented the whole fiasco that Valentine's Day has become in order to separate otherwise prudent men from their money. Virtually every commercial break includes a collection of "special" Valentine's Day ads imploring men to buy their special woman flowers, strawberries, chocolates, jewelry or gigantic stuffed Teddy Bears. Although I must admit that I have not paid a ton of attention, I cannot recall seeing a single commercial encouraging women to head to Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Menard's, Farm and Fleet or Rockler to buy their man hunting and fishing gear, tools, lawn and garden toys or woodworking goodies.

No; Valentine's Day is all about coercing men into buying expensive things for their woman.

I'm convinced that it's all part of a diabolical plot conceived by some woman who was looking for something to hold over her husband's head. After all; she wins if the man buys her gifts, and she wins if the man forgets so she can hold it over his head for the next year. It's a win-win for the women and a lose-lose for the men.

All that being said, I am blessed to be married to a woman whose desire for frugality far exceeds her desire for Valentine's Day gifts - or the ability to hold it over my head.

Many other women have also recognized the evil intentions behind Valentine's Day advertisers' intentions and spare their loved ones from the agony of either spending ridiculous amounts of money or enduring their wrath.

I don't need a special day to let Diane know how much I love her. I try to do that every single day - without expensive trinkets. So we're celebrating Valentine's Day this year by going to the Home Improvement show at the Wisconsin Exposition Center this afternoon and then stopping for dinner at Fuddrucker's on the way home. We're hoping to get some great ideas for the next list of projects that will fill my task list.

In the meantime, Happy Faux Holiday to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment