Monday, February 17, 2014

Built To Last

I have been accused of over-engineering many of my projects through the years. I strongly disagree. Merely because something is designed and built to withstand virtually anything short of a direct hit from a tactical nuclear weapon does not automatically mean it is over-engineered.

It simply means that it was built to last.

I am reminded of the value of that design philosophy every time I look at the playset in our back yard. I set out to design and build a playset for the boys after we were unable to find a pre-built play system that had the features we wanted at a price we could afford. I (correctly) surmised that I could build a much more robust playset for far less money than the ones commercially available.

So that is exactly what I did.

That playset consists of a massive deck that sits about six feet off the ground. A slide at one end provides a means of rapid egress when needed. The deck is accessed by set of stairs leading to a bridge that leads to another, smaller set of stairs back down to the deck itself. The underside of the bridge serves as the mounting points for a couple of swings and a set of rings. The playset also has a single monkey bar connected to one side.

That playset was a magnet for the neighborhood kids when the boys were young. As the boys grew, it became the "high ground" to be captured and defended as the boys and I acted out massive AirSoft campaigns in the yard.

The playset still stands tall and proud in the yard today; and I'm sure it will stand strong in the yard long after I'm dead and gone. For now, though, it sits idle; ready for any grandchildren that may one day revive the glory of the playset in our back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment