Monday, February 10, 2014

Mulligan!!!

I suppose everyone has a collection of moments in their life for which that they wish they could just call a mulligan and start over.

I'm sure there are a lot of Denver Broncos fans who would make that call on this year's Super Bowl.

I'm sure Blues goalie Jon Casey would have loved to have "done over" that one shot from Steve Yzerman in the second overtime of a game seven playoff game against the Wings in 1996.

There are a lot of things I, too, wish I could just "do over."

I suppose my biggest mulligan wish would be that I had just enjoyed my boys more when they were young. I'm not a "kid person." Don't get me wrong - I loved my boys dearly from the moment they were born - even before they were born - but I didn't really "enjoy" them when they were small.

Diane has always been a baby/little kid person. She continues to work with the infants and toddlers at church to get her weekly fix of little ones while she patiently waits for a grandchild to dote over at some point in the future.

Me, though, not so much. I couldn't wait for the boys to get old enough to carry on "normal" conversations and do other "normal" things.

As a result, I missed out on a lot.

I didn't "enjoy" the moments as they played out.

I lived through them and, in some cases, endured them, but I didn't really "enjoy" them.

There are times when I look back on those days and wish I could just call a mulligan and try it all over again.

That chance is gone forever and now I look back from my middle aged years with regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment