Tuesday, December 10, 2013

You'd Think I Would Know Better!

Diane and I will celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary in just a little over a week. I love Diane with all of my heart and I can't imagine my life without her. You would think that after 26 years I would understand all of Diane's moods and thoughts and emotions.

You might think that, but you would be wrong.

Perhaps nothing better exemplifies my cluelessness than a discussion we had over Thanksgiving weekend. Diane was exhausted; and when Diane is exhausted she sometimes is not very tolerant of my slightly sarcastic nature.

You would think that I would know better than to joke around when she's really exhausted.

You would, of course, be wrong again.

Through the years, it has been my habit to tell Diane, "I love you more!"

After years of hearing that, Diane decided that she would rebut with, "Well, I love you most!"

I normally replied with the simple words, "I still love you more!"

For some reason that night, though, I decided to say something different.

Diane had been falling asleep on the sofa as we watched television. She had finally reached the point of exhaustion where she said she was just going to head to bed. I kissed her and told her I loved her more, as always and she replied as she always did.

So, instead of my normal, "I still love you more," I decided to say, "No, you don't."

You'd think I would have known better.

You would think that I would have known to just bite my tongue and not try to say anything cute. But NO, that wouldn't have entered my mind. In fact, much of my sarcasm seems to leap from my tongue without ever pausing anywhere near my brain.

I thought I had a lighthearted and fun way of saying the same thing that I always say. I didn't even think that Diane, in her way too tired state, would take that poorly. She immediately broke into tears and asked, "Just what is that supposed to mean? Do you think I don't love you?"

I was taken aback!

What had I done?

I explained and it was smoothed over.

You'd think I would know better...

No comments:

Post a Comment