Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Own Golden Pond...

Today marks twenty-six years since I somehow managed to trick Diane into saying, "I do."

I've changed much in those twenty-six years. My hairline is slowly receding and what hair I have is mostly gray instead of nearly black. My joints don't work as well as they used to and I couldn't squeeze one leg into the pants I used to wear.

Somehow, though, as I have suffered the effects of the years Diane has just grown more beautiful.

Even as a young man I knew that there were rare, timeless beauties. After all, as a man in my early twenties I was captivated by the then 74 year old Katherine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in On Golden Pond.

I never dreamed that I would one day marry a woman even more graceful, elegant and beautiful.

I remember our wedding day as if it was yesterday even though it feels like we have been together forever. We've been through a lot together; with raising two boys, battling cancer and just growing to love each other more with each passing day.

Every day God gives me with Diane is a gift.

It just feels right being together - kind of like the Thayers.

I've been compared to Norman Thayer many times through the years. Perhaps, except for the fact that my language is not as salty, it's an accurate comparison. After all, I share many of the same cantankerous qualities and could easily see myself saying to my lovely bride on the eve of my eightieth birthday, "Wanna dance or would you rather just suck face?"

Diane will likely just roll her eyes as she always does; perhaps even secretly thankful that I remain so in love with her. She might even say something like Ethel said to Norman with the words, "You know, Norman, you really are the sweetest man in the world, but I'm the only one who knows it."

With each anniversary I am reminded just how lucky I am. Someday, if God allows, Diane and I will be old and gray and as we look back on our lives we, too, may have a conversation...

Ethel: "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're gonna get back up on that horse and I'm gonna be right behind you holding on tight and away we're gonna go, go, go."

Norman: "I don't like horses. You are a pretty old dame aren't you? What are you doing with a dotty old s.o.b.like me?"

Ethel: "Well, I haven't the vaguest idea."

I haven't the vaguest idea why Diane's with me, either.

Happy 26th Anniversary to the love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment