Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The "OH, NO" Patrol

There is something about a gathering of emergency vehicles with their assortment of flashing lights that bring out the worst in people. They suddenly seem unable to focus on anything else. The traffic report on the radio often warns of a "gapers block" as traffic seemingly halts as people lose focus on their driving and, instead, gaze at the scene in some macabre hope of seeing something awful.

I call it the OH, NO Patrol; and it is one of my greatest pet peeves.

At least some of my annoyance at such drivers is certainly rooted in my years spent working fire, accident and other emergency scenes as an EMT. Very few things in life were more frightening than knowing that a bunch of distracted drivers were making a very dangerous situation much more dangerous by their behavior.

While we always parked the responding apparatus in such a way as to provide as much protection for the crews working the scene as possible; there was no way to provide complete security from the OH, NO Patrol short of closing the road entirely. The state and county frown on avoidable road closures, so we worked on.

Far too often we dealt with close calls as the OH, NO Patrol brought traffic to a virtual standstill; cars slamming on their brakes or changing lanes suddenly to avoid the gawker in the car ahead.

I still cringe as I observe other drivers approaching an emergency scene.

My gut twists and turns as I see cars drift ever so slightly in their lane as the driver cranes in an attempt to catch a fleeting glimpse of whatever tragedy is unfolding.

My heart aches for those who have been affected by the instant in history that has, perhaps forever, changed the course of their lives.

And I fear for the emergency workers who must focus on the tasks before them while putting aside the emotions that go with dealing with broken lives and lost property; and the constant danger the OH, NO Patrol places them in.

Although I have not served beside those emergency responders for over a decade now, I still feel a sense of camaraderie with the men and women who stand ready to answer the call. To honor their service; I made a personal commitment to fight the magnetic draw of those flashing lights and, instead, keep my focus centered on the responsibility of piloting a vehicle through the scene's hazards. My passengers, if there are any, can attempt to catch a glimpse of what possibly went wrong and inform me when we are well past the danger. I, though, keep my eyes on the road and the cars around me as a tribute to those who are working the scene.

I refuse to join the OH, NO Patrol.

No comments:

Post a Comment