Friday, October 25, 2013

Better

There is a certain pride that comes with watching your children grow up. We parents always hope that our children will "turn out better" than we did. How we measure that is open for discussion, of course, but I think every parent would agree that they want their children to succeed, to be confident and poised, to be satisfied with their lives. To be "better."

It has been an eye opening experience as I have watched our boys become men. Both of them have jobs they love and have great opportunities before them as we close out 2013 and look at starting the new year. Both are turning out "better" than I did.

I suppose those without children may have a hard time understanding the pride that comes with kids turning out better than us. Perhaps, even, they would be jealous of their kids successes.

Parents know better.

I have taken far more joy out of watching Matthew harvest a deer than I ever have at harvesting one myself. I have been far more delighted with Joseph captivating the students while teaching the youth group at our church a few years ago than I ever have by teaching them myself.

Yes, it is a great feeling to watch my boys grow up to succeed; to be "better" than me.

I still remember when I no longer had to let the boys beat me at various games because they were able to beat me on their own. I wasn't sad that I couldn't win anymore. No, I was full of pride because they were "better."

As I reflect on the past quarter century, I am amazed at how fast the time has passed. I am amazed at what has become of those two little babies I held in my arms so long ago.

I am overjoyed that they are "better."

No comments:

Post a Comment