Wednesday, September 4, 2013

You Divide, I Pick

Few things in this world can start an argument faster than two people wanting the last piece of something. The problem is exacerbated when those two people are siblings.

It really doesn't matter if it's the last piece of pie or the last serving of potatoes; an argument is almost certain to start. Mom and Dad, like many parents, had a simple solution to the problem. It was simply named, "You Divide, I Pick."

The name says it all. The trick was to be the one who called it out first. Everyone wanted to be the picker, not the divider. Being the divider simply brought too much pressure.

Debbie, Kim, Beth and I were forced to endure You Divide, I Pick many times through the years. The divider analyzed whatever was to be divided very carefully - looking at it from every possible angle - trying to find a way to ensure that it would be divided exactly in half.

I'm sure I would have employed calipers and a scale if they were available, so careful was I to prevent any of the girls from getting a bigger portion; even if  the difference was miniscule. Dividing was a major task; one that required great concentration and analysis. This invariably led to pressure to hurry up and divide.

Picking could be equally daunting, though, if the divider had done a good job. The picker was obligated, of course, to carefully determine which was the "bigger half" (a physical impossibility, I know) before making their selection. This invariably led to pressure to hurry up and pick.

In the long run, You Divide, I Pick was brilliant. We learned some important lessons from You Divide, I Pick. It helped us learn to deal fairly and properly with others. It also taught us to practice math and spatial relationship skills we never even realized we were using. Perhaps most of all, though, You Divide, I Pick taught us how to apply our knowledge and skills to real life applications.

I'm not sure about most people, but to me; that is the definition of wisdom.

Thanks, Mom and Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment