Wednesday, September 25, 2013

So this is what $150,000 gets you...

I suppose $150,000 doesn't go as far as it used to.

In fact, I was recently pondering the question of just what $150,000 gets you these days. The answer was not what I expected.

It wasn't that long ago that $150,000 could buy you a decent house. In fact, we bought our land and built our house in 1994 for substantially less than $150,000. You certainly couldn't buy a lot like ours and build a house on it for $150,000 today.

I have come to the conclusion recently, though, that in today's dollars, $150,000 buys you a couple of pieces of paper.

I estimate that the boys' complete college experience cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $150,000. For that, they each received a beautiful diploma from Bob Jones University that proclaims them as honored graduates of that institution. They apparently completed the coursework necessary to have their degrees bestowed upon them. Based on the many stories I heard - and the many others that I can only surmise - they also had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, grew up a little and became godly young men.

Those pieces of paper signified the completion of a lot of hard work; and I commend them heartily for it.

Those pieces of paper also signified the start of a lot of hard work that will last for the next four decades, or so.

Diane and I picked up the majority of the tab for the boys' education. I don't resent doing it, but it's rather eye-opening to look back over that six year span and realize how hard I worked - and how hard I will continue to work to pay off the loans I took to make up for what I couldn't earn - to put them through school. College has certainly gotten a lot more expensive than when I was in school.

So I guess that's what $150,000 got me. The boys benefited much more, of course, and will continue to benefit for a lifetime. As for me, though, I suppose I'll just watch my boys as they move ahead in their chosen careers and appreciate just how much $150,000 ultimately got me.

I suppose it's a better investment than my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment