Monday, March 25, 2013

By the way; my wife loves you...

Some people believe we all have a twin somewhere in the world. I've never bought into that idea, but sometimes something happens that makes you wonder.

My work took me to Austin, Texas earlier this year. My return flight was cancelled; forcing me to re-book flights. It really wasn't a big deal, but it ultimately led to a very strange encounter.

My altered travel plans forced me to fly from Austin to Dallas before heading home to Milwaukee. I had a two and one-half hour layover in Dallas. It wasn't really a big deal because I would ultimately get home only a couple of hours after my originally scheduled time. 

The Dallas/Fort Worth airport is a large, busy place. It was the normal lunch hour, so the  food court in the concourse was mobbed. I ordered my lunch from one of the fast food restaurants and began my search for an open seat.

I managed to find a seat near one end of a long row of tables. A young man (it's amazing how your definition of a young man changes as you age) was seated at the end of the table. He seemed rather nervous but was anxious to strike up a conversation. I despise making small talk with strangers, but he seemed like a nice kid so I chatted with him as we ate our lunches. 

He finished before me and gathered his trash and his bags. Before walking away; he looked around rather nervously then leaned over and quietly said, "By the way; my wife loves you!" With that; he took off.

It took a moment for his comment to register. I turned to try to see where he was headed; anxious to catch up to him and ask who he thought I was. Unfortunately, he had disappeared into the throng of people.

I wondered who he had mistaken me for as I finished my lunch. I can just imagine him calling his wife as soon as he was out of earshot; eager to tell her the story of having lunch with some actor or retired athlete or whomever he thought I was.

People have guessed actors Michael Chiklis or Bruce Willis; but I just don't see it. Maybe it's better that I couldn't find him to ask. All the mystery would have been gone and he would have lost the opportunity to make points with his wife about having lunch with someone she loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment