Friday, May 9, 2014

Free Falling

I've always wondered what it would feel like to free fall.

A long way.

Like from an airplane.

I don't fly all that much any more, but I often catch myself looking out the window and imagining just how exciting it would be to put on a parachute and jump; the air rushing past my body as it plunged toward the Earth far below, free falling as long as possible until I eventually glided to the ground under a colorful canopy.

There's just something fascinating about the thought of totally submitting to gravity as I watch the ground below seemingly transform from a vast unidentifiable patchwork of land into defined areas of trees, buildings, roads and fields.

Diane has always been fearful of the what ifs... What if your parachute doesn't open? What if you hit something? What if something hits you?

What if...

I've heard the horror stories; some of them personally from people who have had near misses, but that hasn't taken away the desire. Something deep inside of me still longs to know what it feels like.

I don't think my knees could actually handle the landing any more, but I still dream that I could someday free fall; a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment