Friday, April 5, 2013

First Love...

I don't think we ever truly forget our first love. No matter how young we were at the time, I think every guy remembers the first time he noticed a girl. Maybe we weren't convinced that this is "The One" we will marry and live with forever, but they were someone special, and we remember it.

First loves are funny that way.

My first love was Nancy Sauerman; a farm girl from Crown Point, Indiana. We typically saw each other only once or twice a year when our family went to visit them or they came to St. Louis to visit us. Visiting Crown Point was the best because Sauermans lived on a farm. We did cool things like play in the barn and look at Chuck's arrowhead collection and go to the County Fair to watch Dick show his steer.

Yes, time at the Sauerman's farm was the best. They had corn fields and cattle and a crazy goose named Stupid that was in love with its own reflection in the hubcaps of a broken down Ford in the yard. And, of course, Nancy was there.

Chuck and Dad had served together in the Army. They became friends and through the years our families became friends, too. I met the Sauermans for the first time when they came for a visit in what must have been the summer I turned seven or eight. We hung out on the front porch; anxious for them to arrive.

They pulled up in front of the house and lined the kids up against the car for the introductions. There was Dick - the oldest, and David - the youngest, and trapped there in the middle leaning back against the car; Nancy.

Although our visits with the Sauermans were short; I had found my first love. My sisters teased me mercilessly, but I didn't care. What did they know about love? They were sisters and sisters were not real girls. They couldn't understand the fine nuances of a first love.

Nancy and I began a pen pal relationship; writing letters whose contents are long forgotten but I'm sure were  filled with the mundane reports of what was going on in school and life. I can still remember buying six cent stamps from Dad to send Nancy a letter; carefully addressed to her house on State Road 8 in Crown Point.

I treasured those visits and looked forward to them from the moment Mom or Dad told us we'd be seeing her family.

Of course that, like everything else, changed when Dad died. There were no more visits with the Sauermans. We never got back up to visit them on the farm again; and they never made it back to St. Louis. Just like that, my first love was gone.

While one might think I was devastated; I quickly did what every twelve year old does - I forgot about her. Years went by with only fleeting thoughts of my first love.

I, of course, moved on - I moved to Wisconsin, got married and raised a family. I assume Nancy did the same - other than the moving to Wisconsin part.

I have no idea whatever happened to Nancy; although I do think of her from time to time. Whenever Diane and I drive past the Interstate 65 exits for Crown Point, Indiana; I am reminded of those carefree days visiting the farm - and my first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment