Wednesday, April 3, 2013

All's Fair In Love And Baseball

There are very few things that Diane and I strongly disagree about. In fact, other than our allegiances to our respective baseball teams; there is probably nothing that we strongly disagree on.

But when it comes to baseball...

Baseball is the second greatest sport on Earth. In fact; other than ice hockey and baseball, I really don't care about any other sports. There are only two teams in professional sports that truly matter when the rubber hits the road; the St. Louis Blues and the St. Louis Cardinals.

Spring is exciting because it's the time of the year when Cardinals Baseball returns! I have many memories of watching the Cardinals as a kid.

I remember watching the Cardinals play in the World Series on an old black and white television in the classroom during the school day.

I remember getting a day off school because Mike Shannon hit a home run in game three of the 1967 World Series. (There was a certain benefit going to elementary school at Mike Shannon's alma-mater.)

I remember Mom talking about how she knew Mike Shannon back in school. She often bragged about it and, while I had my doubts since Mom was known to - on very rare occasions - exaggerate a bit. She erased all doubts when we went to the hallway outside the Cardinals' locker room before a game and Mike Shannon himself came out and talked with us and signed my baseball glove!!!

I knew someone who knew a real Cardinal!!!

It's virtually impossible, unless you're my niece Rachel, to grow up in St. Louis and not be inextricably linked to the St. Louis Cardinals. There is a lifelong bond that forms and, even after being away for many years, a Cardinals fan's heart skips a beat when watching the Redbirds take the field on a beautiful Spring day!

I moved away from Missouri in 1984. While Wisconsin has become my home in virtually every way; I will never lose my love for the St. Louis Cardinals. My lovely bride Diane, on the other hand, does not share my love for the Redbirds.

Diane is a Brewers fan. I'm not exactly sure why. After all, the Cardinals have won eleven World Series Championships while the Brewers are still awaiting number one. I have tried everything in my power through the years to help her see the light and become a Cardinals fan.

She is too stubborn to admit she's backing the wrong team. Diane still holds a grudge against the Atlanta Braves because they left Milwaukee. It doesn't matter that Diane was a whopping eight years old when they left; she still holds a grudge. I told you - she's stubborn when it comes to baseball.

We have had an interesting Cardinals/Brewers rivalry in our home through the years. Matthew has staunchly remained at Diane's side as a Brewer fan. Joseph has vacillated through the years; cheering for one team and then the other; and sometimes both.

Through the years, I have sought to take the high road and "be the mature one" in this rivalry. I greatly limit my reminders that the Cardinals  have won eleven World Series Championships while the Brewers are still awaiting number one. I have also tempered my celebrations as we have celebrated multiple St. Louis Cardinal World Series Championships during our marriage while the Brewers sat home watching on television.

Yes, I have been almost nice about it.

Diane, on the other hand, feels no such need to be magnanimous when the Brewers do well. I watched and listened as she gloated over the Brewers winning the division title in 2011. I endured her constant reminders about the Brewers finishing above the Cardinals in the standings and how she would be celebrating this time. I merely bit my tongue and bided my time.

Maybe you recall that the Cardinals beat the Brewers in the NLCS that year and then went on to win our eleventh World Series Championship.

I bear no ill will towards the Brewers. In fact, I like to see them do well - just not as well as the Cardinals. I know that, in all likelihood, Diane will celebrate a Brewers World Series victory some day. And while she dances with glee and gloats over their win; I expect that I will sit quietly by - counting the fifteen or so World Series Championships the Cardinals will probably have won by then...

No comments:

Post a Comment