Thursday, June 16, 2016

Not quite like any other day...

It was easy to become a father. It took a lot more to become a dad.

I wasn't always a very good dad. In fact, I often (and truthfully) proclaim that Joseph and Matthew turned out so well in spite of me at least as much as because of me. Joseph and Matthew got their best traits from their Father. Not their weak earthly father; no they have blossomed under the blessings of their Heavenly Father. It is a joy to look at them today and see the men they have become. The husbands they are learning to be. 

I know God used me in their lives, but the biggest impact I ever had on their lives was that I started praying for them before they were even born. I prayed constantly for them and for their future spouses; whomever they may be.

I prayed; and I cried.

I cried tears of joy when each of the boys were born.

I cried tears that were a mixture of joy and sorrow when we left each of them at college for the first time.

I cried tears that were a mixture of joy and pride as I watched them walk across the platform at Bob Jones University to accept their hard-earned degrees.

I cried tears of joy as I watched each of them commit themselves in marriage to our wonderful daughters-in-law.

I cried tears of fear as I came to grips with the doctor's words that Matthew had cancer.

I cried tears of relief as I watched Matthew respond to the treatment.

I cried tears of joy and pride as I witnessed Joseph being ordained.

Somewhere, sometime, in the midst of all of those tears I became a dad.

Father's Day this year will not be a day when I look for accolades or gifts. 

Father's Day is so much more. 

It's the day for me to look back on all that went into becoming a dad instead of just a father.


No comments:

Post a Comment